"GET `ER DONE!"

                                 

                                                 Overcoming Procrastination

 

Whoever coined the phrase, “Why not do today what you can do tomorrow” was spot on. Although I’ve heard it spoken many times after, I remember my mother quoting it first and often.

She was right and admit I’ve become a world-class procrastinator. Now that I’ve identified this potential habit, I want to share how to get past it. Believe me, people, we shall overcome the uncomfortable truth of postponement.

No matter how convenient waiting to do certain things are, it should never encompass every aspect of your daily life. If you allow it, then you’ll find lackadaisicalness has moved in with no plans to move on.

Lately, I’ve noticed a pattern that I’m uncomfortable with but settled into as if it was the most usual behavior I’ve found myself conforming to.

I’m not too fond of it; therefore, I decided to do something about it before it overtakes my life completely. So the first step is identifying you have a problem.

Much like any disease, you must understand that there indeed is an issue to combat it. Now, I don’t advise approaching it like someone attending an AA meeting.

Procrastination doesn’t have anything to do with time management but let’s call it what it is, laziness that evolves into an I’ll do it later attitude.

The only problem with that is that later may not come or if it does, you repeat until nothing gets done and have accumulated long lists of to-dos.

Second, deal with whatever is holding you back from completing a task. Maybe it’s fear or lack of motivation. Then, to overcome those challenges and keep it moving. Remember, nothing earned, nothing gained.

Third, preparation. Turn that to-do list into a to-done list. Preparation is everything. It gives you a solid view of what needs to get done, and you can accomplish each task if you follow the plan.

I mentioned earlier that procrastination isn’t related to time management, but boy, don’t we waste hours doing absolutely nothing?

Let’s change that with step four, eliminating distractions—for example, social media, tv, cell phones, and watching paint dry. None of these things aid in productivity but draw our attention away from more essential matters.

Lastly, after you`ve completed each step, reward yourself for a job well done in overcoming procrastination.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts