"LIAR LIAR PANT'S ON FIRE!"


 

Empowering Creativity

 

 

I don’t know about you, but in my family, we weren’t allowed to say the word lie or call someone out for lying as a child. Lie was a grown folk’s word that implied untruth, of a nefarious nature, and overall untrustworthy. As a result, we were taught to say “Telling Stories.”

 

From a child’s perspective, I didn’t understand why my parents thought it was a bad word, especially if we understood what constituted lying. All I knew then was that lying was wrong and that you shouldn’t do it or accuse someone of lying. Instead, they encouraged me to say, “Telling Stories.”

 

They nor I ever realize how “Telling Stories” would become a major part of my life.

 

The definition according to Merriam-Webster, one example is Prevarication—a fancy term for fibbing. But we know most lies are exaggerations of the truth.

 

Fast forward to the present, lying is still wrong but accepted when presented in a palatable form.

 

Not everyone who tells stories is a prevaricator; let us be clear. When used in the proper context, it becomes an opportunity for a story.

 

Now, I know some people who can tell whoppers but not all of them or liars, but indeed storytellers, present company included.

 

My parents didn’t realize how their generalization of the word liar would impact me. It made me consciously aware of people, and things said in my presence more meaningful. Overall to recognize the truth from a lie and so forth.

 

One advantage is it stimulated my curiosity and empowered my gift of creativity.

 

There is a method to the madness of storytelling. It starts with the 4 P Formula: People, Place, Plot, and Purpose, in lay terms, character creation, timeline, narrative, and ending.

 

Words are powerful and life-changing, whether used for good or bad reasons.

 

Storytelling is an artful skill used to articulate ideas and structure while engaging the imagination of its recipients.

 

As writers, it’s how we interact with our audiences, bringing them into the fold, allowing them inside our minds while building a relationship not based on untruths but creativity.

 

Empowering creativity will never become a negative in my book. It will always remain a positive help in developing writing skills and meaningful conversations. 

Comments

Popular Posts