“WRITE RIGHT”

                                  
                                        Choosing A Genre That Works For You

With so many popular genres to choose from, sometimes we fall into a niche that is not necessarily our style of writing. What I mean by this, is that we see what everyone else is writing about, and think, hey, works for them why not me.
This might be true for some but not all.
Genre fiction is not a one size fits all type of thing.
As a writer, you should be versatile, but also true to yourself.
I am a hopeless romantic, it’s what I know best, and so I tend to stay in my lane.
Now I’m not saying that just because I love romance doesn’t mean that I can’t make it work in any other style of writing.
Such as Sci-fi, Paranormal, Fantasy, or any other, because I’ve read many books written under these headings and loved them.
What I’m saying is sometimes we abandon what we know to follow trends.
Paranormal, YA and Fantasy even Erotica is hot right now. 
Writers are cashing in on this style of genre fiction. So, based on this knowledge, some writers swerve head-on into the fray, and this can be disastrous to your career.
Just because I’m faithful to one genre doesn’t mean I’m cheating by reading other styles of writing. Because I do and I love them.
Nevertheless, for those of you who want to write outside of the box, this is not a note of discouragement to make you stay locked within. But simply a note of caution to make you stop and think of the importance of looking before you leap.
Stephen King is one of the greatest sci-fi writers of all times. We respect him as such and if he suddenly started writing historical romance or erotica, we’d question his sanity as well his prowess in this genre.
Not to say he couldn’t, but would be totally out of character and unexpected.
I’m simply stating that we should write what is right for us.
I love history, social, political... etc.
Whereas this was one of my favorite subjects as a student, but I am not skilled enough in this field of study if I decided to write a book.
Embellishment and improvising is something we do well as writers. It is a trademark feature. It’s what we do best making up stuff as we go. We’re able to write about any given subject. The ability to make readers believe we know our stuff.
So why not use this when it comes to genre fiction.
You could, and some writers do, being cross-trained in the field of writing is a unique talent and gift.  Yet, doesn’t mean you necessarily should.
All I’m saying is be true to yourself first. Write about what you love instead of what boost book sales.
We all want to be successful something that everyone who has career goals desires.
But what will it be based upon, true passion or popularity.
Lately, I’m fascinated with paranormal authors and can’t get enough.
Honestly I’ve thought about crossing over to this specific genre, and is why I decided to blog about it instead.
I have no doubt that I am capable but unwilling to make this leap without fully understanding where this road will take me.
Writing stories is fantasy; totally make believe unless of course it’s non-fiction.
I try to stay true to myself and what drives my creativity as a writer. Although I never limit myself on exploration when it comes to reading other genres. But I think long and hard before I dive head first into the pool of writing.
Staying true to yourself should be a main objective.
Yes, you are a writer, therefore licensed to go wherever your imagination takes you.
If your hearts not in it, don’t do it.
Exercise caution before you consider genre hopping and embark on the road of style writing.
Writing Right, might be considered bad grammar, but it is a valid statement when it comes to your passion.



Comments

Popular Posts