"SOME OF THIS, A LITTLE OF THAT"


                 

                                 The Perfect Balance of Fact & Fiction



          We are all familiar with folklore, urban legends and fantasy. Have you ever wondered where all these stories originated from? I do, and I never get tired of hearing them.  But more than likely from someone who loved spinning tales and used just a touch of magical dust or baking soda to help it grow into an amazing story.

As a child, I would sit at my mothers’ feet and listen for hours upon hours of her weaving tales with the perfect blend of fact and fiction.  She used inflections to build the suspense, take you on highs and lows that prepared you for the powerful ending.  

          It didn’t matter to me that they were just stories she’d made up to amuse us kids, and as I grew older and broke down the elements of each tale, it was then I realized how talented my mother really was at diversion.

          You must admit fantastical tales are great for the imagination, it helps us to form opinions, use visualization to see a story come to life, appreciate the quality of a great storyteller and most importantly, separate fact from fiction.

Okay, I know most tales or simply embellishments of truths, but who cares especially when they are just so darn entertaining. However, the amount of energy and skill used to concoct fantasy on this level, is not simply genius but speaks of an undeniable talent.

I am a huge fan of fantasy and sci-fi, can’t get enough of this stuff. I read all types of genres and you can bet fantasy is on the list. All right, I know not everyone appreciates make-believe on this level, but life can get majorly serious at times, and we all could use a respite from reality every now and then.

          What I’ve learned about fiction is that there is a healthy dose of reality blended in with each story. Just enough to pull you in and keep you listening as the tales deepens.

          I guess it’s why I really admire a well-played out ghost story too. What’s a campout without a roaring fire, smores, and a creepy story to balance it all out? Boring, I tell you. To make it all possible you need a blend of fact peppered with the right amount of fiction. 

          People love fact checking, their day just isn’t the same without calling you out if they think somehow, you’ve misled them into believing you were preaching the gospel instead of pulling their leg. A little bit of humor goes a long way if you allow yourself to laugh out loud sometimes and enjoy the perfect balance of fact and fiction.   




Comments

Popular Posts