"DEAL OR NO DEAL"

 

       

                Independent vs. Traditional Publishing

 

I’m a huge fan of game shows. Deal or No Deal is one of them. However, making the right decision is more important than any TV reality show odds in publishing.

Who among us doesn’t want the perfect deal, but some agreements can leave you wanting more or getting less. And why the decision to publish traditionally or independently comes into play.

You might suggest that I’m biased based on how much I talk about the subject of traditional vs. independent publishing. Well, that may be because I am. And why shouldn’t I favor one publishing platform over the other?

When I’m a huge advocate for doing things your way, having a voice in the overall design, and fewer time constraints, no, I’m not a control freak, but I am just a bit OCD, and before you say, they are the same condition. I beg to differ.  

Now that we’ve cleared up that minor disagreement let’s talk about the process of choosing what’s suitable for you as an author. Although I may lean more toward independence, I’m not entirely opposed to traditional publishing.

Case and point, some authors may prefer giving the control over to handlers because they find DIY publishing too much of a hassle. I understand and be it far from me to criticize any preference.

To each his own, I always say. But for the more savvy authors who like things done a specific way, their way, Independent publishing may be a better fit for you.

Some may argue that traditional publishing is an overall better deal. For instance, traditional publishers do everything except writing the book. Whereas independent publishing requires more work, plus writing the book.

 Still, less work doesn’t always add up in the long run.

We could discuss the ins and outs of both from here to eternity. But what’s the point in that when you as the author have artistic control to do whichever you prefer.

Just know that there aren’t any shortcuts involved with publishing. The same criteria exist in both worlds. Readers expect nothing less than a perfect presentation, no matter which route you decide to take.

Independent or Traditionally published books are work-intensive, and the end product is the desired goal for each.

So, no matter where your publishing journey takes you, you still have the option of deal or no deal.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts