"IMAGINE THAT!"

                           

                                                              Building Creativity

 

 

To be creative, first, you should know what it means. Wikipedia defines creativity as using the imagination or original ideas, especially in producing an artistic work.

I believe the best way to build creativity is to see and create it. Creativity comes from within as an imagined thought that leads to creative expression.

So, now that we know what creativity is and how it works let’s talk about ways to build creativity.

My older brother, an artist, would give the younger kid an art assignment. Basically, he would provide us with sheets of paper to draw on. It was up to us what we drew, calling upon our inner creative abilities.

Creativity should be encouraged at any age, especially young ones who show signs of interest and promise through this medium.

Unfortunately, I was never good at drawing things; however, my inner creativity developed more toward writing. I’m much better at that, so I want to discuss building creativity. Not only that but share seven creative strategies.

According to https://ideas.ted.com/3-science-based-strategies-to-increase-your-creativity/

1.      Practice. That may sound basic, but my mother always said practice makes perfect. I believe and live by that philosophy.

2.      Discover Quality in Quantity. This falls within the lines of if you don’t succeed at first, try again. Not every idea will be perfect, but there is always room for improvement.

3.      Look to the ordinary. Essentially this means you don’t need to think bigger than necessary or gain inspiration from grandiose ideas. More times than often, great things come in small packages.

4.      Collaborate with others. Always a grand idea because two heads are better than one. Brainstorming leads to some of the greatest creative partnerships.

5.      Experiment with different styles. Discovering your creative niche is part of the journey. I learned at an early age drawing pictures wasn’t my thing but creating images through words worked better for my level of creativity.

6.      Have confidence. One of the biggest obstacles is self-doubt. This goes back to what my mama said about practicing until it’s perfect. At least your idea of perfection. Trust and believe in what you do. You are your best and worst critic. First impressions are important, but it starts with you.

Once, I stumbled upon a poem I had written many years ago, only to discover it later, and was so impressed with what I’d written and tossed it aside. I lacked the confidence to see what came later once my confidence in my ability grew.

7.      Give your brain a refresh. Our minds work like computers and suffer information overload and core dumps. The world wasn’t created in a day so take time to reboot and cleanse your thoughts.

Creativity is essential in a world that would rather be an imitation than an original. If you can be anything, be creative. 

Comments

Popular Posts