FIGHT THE POWER!

                        
                            OBEYING THE INNER SOURCE OF WRITING

I admire the anthem “Fight The Power” by Public Enemy the song that plays in the background of “Do The Right Thing”, the movie by Spike Lee.
Strange enough both of these references ties directly into what I’m talking about today. But I still must ask the question, Why Fight The Power?
At some point in time, I’ve asked myself exactly that, directly related to why I became a writer. My reply of course is that it was inevitable. What I've come to realize and understand, is that you can’t fight against a system that is not designed by you, but most certainly for you.
Storytelling is in my DNA and passed down to me from my fore-parents. Not only that but it is a gift from God that I take quite seriously.
I imagine I could have chosen any other form of expression, but the truth of the matter is, writing chose me.
I didn’t wake up one morning and say, hmmm.., think I’ll become a writer today. No, before I was ever a twinkle in my mother’s eye, the decision was already made for me. As a child, I remember sitting at her feet listening as she told these amazing stories of her own childhood. Some good and not so good, but on a lighter note, there were times when she shared with us chilling tales of ghost and things that went bump in the night.
Not once did I think I would follow her example as a weaver of tales. I simply enjoyed her ability to tell a great story.
I do know this and am a firm believer in fate. Not in the idealism that this was by chance, because I further believe nothing happens by happenstance, luck or however you wish to define it.  It is destiny and therefore irrevocably meant to be.
It is human nature to fight against any form of what we view as radical representation or tempted instinctively to go against the grain.
So glad I obeyed the voice inside of me that said, be patient and listen to your heart.
Yes, I sometimes question my ability to do what has been chosen for me without my input. Should I be angry that I was left out of the decision process? No not at all, stay with me now, in this instance, it’s not the case at all. 
We all have natural defense mechanisms triggered when it comes to negative authoritative measures. However, this is from a positive source. Therefore, I accept the decision over this part of my life and try my best to live up to the expectations for the faith vested in me to perform each task at the best of my ability. 
Pretty formal huh, yet I can’t express to you how happy I am that God placed in me and those of you who wake up every morning thankful he chose you.
You should feel special that he selected you and keep in mind He being God, would’ve never put you in this position if He didn’t believe you were capable of the gift bestowed upon us.
This is how I know the ability to write comes from a place deeper and bigger than me.
Imagination, for example is something we all came equipped with, like luxurious interiors and satellite radio in brand new cars. However, it’s what you do with this bit of knowledge that makes the difference.
Now what if I had decided not to listen to my inner voice, God forbid, I wouldn’t be doing this blog about writing or anything that falls under that heading.
I obeyed the inner source, because it was revealed to me at an early stage of my life. I received a glimpse as a child and discovered that I had the ability to spin tales, to command a captive audience by telling them stories.
Stories that came straight from my imagination, impromptu, but captivating. Too young to appreciate the gift, it went into what I like to term as hibernation. Locked away safely undisturbed for years. The gift needed to sleep for a while until the opportune time presented itself for me to tap into this resource once again.
When I was older, and had learned a few things, and with something to write about under my belt, the door to my untold stories was unlocked.
It was no accident that when the storyteller in me resurfaced that the chosen genre was romance. Hey, I am an expert at failed relationships, so this qualified as well created the perfect opportunity for me to redeem my efforts and tell a story in a different light.
How so, you might ask, well as the once titled “Queen of Doomed Relationship”, I still had relationship goals.
What I couldn’t manage to make work in reality gave me the opportunity, to recreate in an imaginary world, the chance to make the best of a bad situation.
I have so many examples of love all around me. Through books, movies and real relationships, other people not mine, that gave me insight on how and what to write about. As well, the magic of storytelling and the inner force that compels me to do what comes natural.
I can’t fight against the power that drives me, even while I’m sleeping. The desire never goes away it is always there to remind me of who I am.
I am a writer, even though there are some days when I want to reclaim my now denounced title and at the same time abandoned the kingdom and run so far away that no one can find me. Because my creativity isn’t flowing, or I’ve received a not so flattering review, or book sales are down one month.
Regardless of the right now situation, that drive that I seemingly have little control takes over and boldly says to me, “Don’t Give Up! This is only temporary.
This is who we are as writers. No matter what creative difficulties sometimes stand in our way, we persevere and maintain that overwhelming force to do what we do.
Let’s face it, I love writing. Although I wear many other hats, I cannot picture myself not being a writer. It’s the passion and the creative spirit that keeps me moving in this direction, the need to write stories and tell them to anyone who will listen.
I’d be lying if I said I don’t like being successful, because that drive to do well is also deeply rooted in me. Perhaps not in the sense that I need to be rich and powerful, but simply accomplished.
So instead of fighting against the power, just go with it and explore the unlimited resources of your mind and all the undiscovered places your imagination is waiting to take you.


  
  
 






Comments

Popular Posts