“THE WHOLE TRUTH, NOTHING BUT…WELL ALMOST”


                                       Using Your Creative License as a Writer



I remember as a child, “telling stories” is what we were allowed to say instead of using the word lying.  It was offensive to my parents to hear such language coming from the mouth of a child.  Oh, if they could hear me now?  At least, read the stories I’ve written. 

I’ve taken the word lying to an entirely different level.  But it is perfectly legal because I have a creative license that gives me the authority to do so.

Creativity is self-explanatory.  It means you are allowed to make stuff up as you go, while sticking to the truth as much as possible.  Well, that’s my philosophy anyway.  As a writer, I love to do what I do best and that is telling stories. 

It is part of my gifting, and my craft to create situations, and control the outcome of the characters of whom I write about, lives.  With pen and paper, and keyboard, I spin tales of joy, heartache and despair.  But the best part is, there is always a successful conclusion.

Having a creative license at my disposal gives me the right to exercise authority and write about whatever I wish, good or evil.  I choose good, because who doesn’t like a heartwarming tale? 

Now keep in mind, you must not abuse the privilege.  At any given time, it can be revoked through the power of your readers who will slay you if they feel you’ve taken things just a little too far.

Yes, even the best writers can get lost on this power trip and think that they are invincible.  Well I’m here to tell you that no one is, and there are limits. 

Not only do I write books, but I also read them.  Some stories go beyond the imagination and insult the intelligence of the reader.  And I can attest to this truth, because I’ve seen it with my own eyes. 

This is where fact-checking applies and research on behalf of the author is a wise thing to evoke.

Just because you can create alternative truths, doesn’t mean it applies in all cases.  Especially if you are implementing well known facts, or historical events, and characters into your stories.  Please, remember that the audience you’re appealing to are intelligent.  Chances are, they no more than what you give them credit for.

For example: you can’t say that the Civil War took place in eighteen twelve, and expect the audience to believe you are a accredited writer.  Believe me, they will call you out for making such a drastic error.  It might result in a scathing review that a multitude of other readers will see which will lend further discredit to your ability as an author.

Abusing your creative license in this manner, may result in an action called revoking.

Creativity does not outweigh credibility.

Creative licensing, allows you to demonstrate the ability of the imagination.  To flow between reality and make believe. The balancing of both worlds.

This is what it’s all about.  Asserting yourself as a writer, using your ability to dream aloud, and sharing your imagination with millions of others.

Although you are bound and withheld to certain standards set forth by the gift of creativity.  Nevertheless, there is no expiration date when it comes to your creative license.

Keep dreaming, keep writing.

Comments

Popular Posts