"THE CROSSOVER"


                                       

                                        The Benefits of Cross-Genre Fiction





            Okay, first of all, I’m not referring to death, but if you’re a basketball fan, or like the Philadelphia 76ers, then you are familiar with Allen Iverson and his historical crossover maneuver. Well, hate to disappoint anyone whoever thought I’m talking sports today too, that’s not what this show is about.


            However, I do want to talk about crossover genre fiction and how beneficial it is to writers. I’ve often said you should always think outside the box when writing.


            Well, today, I’ll tell you why it’s a great idea and how it will help you to become a stronger writer. Now I’m not referring to writing about two different genres within one story.


            No, but exposing your hidden talents for writing outside your chosen genre, crossing over to different ones. 


            For example, if you’re a romance writer, that’s loyal to urban fiction, you’re not locked into this style of writing unless you want to be. What I mean is this, you write about what’s relatable to you, but at the same time, get to explore different ways of telling similar stories utilizing a different avenue.


            In today's society, especially those who are avid readers. Most of these groups prefer crossover fiction. Not only this, but it exposes your art to other potential readers. 


            The crossover not only applies to music, movies, and television. With today's programming, I see more and more cast who are of every ethnicity. Trust me the producers and casting directors are aware of how vital innovation has become in our savvy world today. 


            I love it and the idea that not everything is black and white. It’s about creativity and in a broader fashion.


            I think a great example of this is Romeo and Juliet, (I love Shakespeare), the movie that cast Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in this role. The producers took a sixteenth-century play and re-introduced it in a twentieth-century setting. How is that for thinking outside the box?


            All I’m saying is that we should be open to new ideas and ways to express our talent without feeling as though we’re selling out just because we want to sell more books. No this isn’t the idea at all. But merely expanding your reach by showcasing your talent as a writer, and learning to grow and use your creativity in different ways.


            Not only are you expanding your horizons, but also expanding your reach to new readers. And why not? I, for one, get tired of the same old thing, no matter what it is. 


            Don’t get me wrong; I love hamburgers, great barbecue, sweet tea, and fried chicken, but I’m not opposed to changing things up, every once and a while who I am is not summarized by how people perceive me based on my food choices. I love other things just as much and don’t feel guilty when I have them. 


            The same applies to crossover fiction. You’re allowed to tell your stories however you want to. But at the same time, be inclusive. 


            That said, changing up your style of writing makes your work more marketable across the board. No one cares about what you look like, but readers do care about the stories you write, especially if it’s relatable.


            Don’t ever sell yourself short, simply because you’re dedicated to staying true to thy own self.

            But remember, you are more than what you write and the stories you tell. Learn to broaden your borders, explore new opportunities, and reach more interested readers by sharing your talents in more colorful and creative ways when you crossover.

           

           

             

Comments

Popular Posts