"IMMITATION OF LIFE"

                                  

                                                                Art Mimicking Life

 

 

            I will never forget the first time I saw the 1933 &1959 movie version, Imitation of Life, by Author Fannie Hurst published in 1933.

It left me with an unrequited maelstrom of emotions. How does one unpack or process such relatable material when art suddenly becomes a depiction of reality?

There are other examples of art becoming real-life portraits of humanity. Images that we see and read about daily.

That becomes possible when creatives allow glimpses of life experiences to pour into their characters or imagery.

Often, art reflects the reality that we view through the lens of cameras, movie screens, and books.

There is no way to escape it, even when we are unaware that something extraordinary is happening. Life through art finds a way to expose reality.

Have you ever viewed a painting that revealed a bigger picture of what’s painted on canvas? The artist meant for you to see that through subtle nudges and brush strokes.

Or, read a book that shook you to your foundation because as you read the words, you began to see a story within a story that developed right before your eyes.

This, my friends, is art imitating life.

Still don’t believe me? Well, let’s explore further. I love oil paintings and once owned a framed copy of a bowl of fruit. Fruit that looked so real, I wanted to pluck an apple from the picture and bite it.

Yes, it was just that real. It may seem like an elementary reference, but I wanted you to see the complete picture of art and life imitation.

Whether painted or written, art depicts real-life emotion infused through imagery and characters.

Plato, a Greek philosopher, wrote, “Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life.”

I don’t entirely agree or disagree with his opinion, but I understand why he said it. Because life and art often reflect the real world.

In closing, my fellow creatives keep dreaming, creating, and becoming who you are meant to be.

 

Comments

Popular Posts