"DESTINATION EXPLORATION"

                            
                                               How Do You Research For a Project?
I don’t know about you but I research in stages. What I mean by this is that, I usually don’t know what I need until I start writing the story. I don’t do story boards, like most. I tend to let my creative juices flow naturally, just to see where my imagination takes me. Flowcharts are useful in most cases, but just isn’t my style of creation.
Okay I guess some writers like to lay out their plotlines because it helps them to develop a better storyline. I’m just the opposite. I love to wonder about what comes next. The level of excitement of the unknown is thrilling to me. Now I’m not saying that notes aren’t required because they are. I keep them myself, and often have visions of scenes that take place further in the book.
I work things out as I write the story. In my opinion, using excessive flowcharts is time consuming and takes away from the story. Just like most readers, I like discovery. I don’t need every detail up front, I’d rather the plot unfold as I move through the story. What’s the fun in reading a book if you already know how it’s going to end.
Usually, I do have a general idea of my characters, the setting, and the plot. So I know that I will have to research facts, such as cities, landmarks, people, places, and things especially if they are unfamiliar to me.
I love this part most, learning about interesting backgrounds and cultures, specific details that add to the overall feel of the story. The more detail you give and factual information, makes the story believable and a relationship of trust develops between the reader and the writer.
Sometimes, I like to research origin of names and their meaning. But I can’t do this until I decide on a particular one.
It amazes me that after I’ve researched the information how it fits perfectly with the storyline.  I don’t know how I manage this but it happens. Let’s just use a character from my latest book, If Tomorrow Comes, Requiem.
 Joshua. The bible tells us that Joshua was a warrior, and an interesting character study. Well before I did my own research on the name, I’d already had a clear idea of the part he’d play in my story. 
This is how research works for me.
Understand it is a very necessary element and useful tool for all writers. You can’t tell a story without it. What I hate most is a book full of errors and misinformation because someone did not research well enough or not at all.
It kills a story and proves the author is not a wise writer. I understand we are masters of embellishment and fabrication. We apply our creative rights as artists to weave tales based on ideas and dreams. But the defining substance that bonds the story together must consist of concrete origins. 
We’ve all have been students at one point in our lives therefore were issued assignments, based on a particular subject. History for instance, because it’s one of my favorites. You were instructed to choose a figure, place, happening during a certain period, write it out in your own words, but with factual information.
Based on how well you researched and were able to recreate the story through your own vision, you probably received an A. However, if you took shortcuts fudged a few instances, then you underachieved and got a D.
Research is critical to every project. It is such an integral part of every story. You can’t tell a story successfully without details and fact-checking.
Trust me, most readers or shrewd, and expect a level of honesty from the author, even in fictional tales. As writers, we owe it to them to be truthful as possible, with the information dispersed throughout the story.
Even fairytales obtain some level of research. They are usually based on another well-read fable, so consistency is important.
There is a multitude of how to do this or the other when it comes to research. I read an interesting article from Writers Digest on preparation for writing a book in a month and researching information.
Well I’m not saying that it’s impossible but a very short story.
No matter where your destination or exploration leads you, or how you choose to plan for your book, research is important. It is instructional as well crucial before you began any project.  


Comments

Popular Posts